Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Environmental data reports

I mostly work on data-backed sites that present free information to the public. I've done it as a staffer for a nonprofit group from 1991-1997 and as a consultant to nonprofit groups since 1997. From 1998-2005 I also helped to analyze data for a number of white-paper reports from environmental groups -- after that, computer and data literacy became widespread enough so that this kind of work was generally done in-house. These reports are mostly of historical interest now, but some of them may still be useful. There's a page that lists them, but it's a bit much to look through so I've listed them by category here:

In addition there were two reports that were pretty much sui generis and were in many ways my favorites: Poisoning Our Future (1998) and Cabinet Confidential (2004). The first of these looked at sources of persistent bioaccumulative toxins (PBTs) by integrating many different documents and databases: something like I'd like some day to go back to and see what we were wrong and right about. The second was a rather inspired but rickety attempt to use a Massachusetts toxics use database, a New Jersey toxics use database, and the U.S. national PRTR to estimate quantities of toxic chemicals within products nationwide, something that none of these databases had been designed to do.

With this and the posts below (copied from my personal blog, when I had a brief enthusiasm for writing posts about this kind of thing in late 2008 / early 2009) I've summed up my previous writing about data. I'm working on a wider variety of projects now and hope to write about them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment